Monday 31 May 2010

News Report

Is it me or is there something slightly odd about people posting all their personal sadnesses in a public place like a blog site? What is that? I have only really been blogging for just over a year. I was persuaded to it on the grounds that it would be a good promotional tool for the writing and I hope that is what it is and what I do. I have discussed ideas too, about writing, and aired disagreements with other writers and put my own thoughts down about writing and writers and disagreements. But I don't tell what is going on in my life... because I don't know everyone who visits here and I wouldn't share all my life with just anyone.

And when I read other blogs that bare the soul of the writer, telling me all the little and big sadnesses that have upset their week/month/year, all the personal heartaches and their trials and tribulations... well, I just don't know what that's all for and I don't really know what to say except 'don't need to know all that, thankyou.'

So here's a wee news report that is not about my cat or my dog (cos I only have one of those), nor is it about my neighbour or my family or my work colleagues. And it certainly isn't about any hurt that I have or scars I have collected or parking tickets that I have had to pay or toothache - or anything personal to me. It is about writing and a wee success.

This Sunday I held a workshop for children in the National Museum of Scotland. A new exhibition has just opened there showing off the Lewis Chessmen and as my published children's novel is a fantastical adventure centred round these chess pieces, the museum got me in and I got to do a very healthy book signing after the event. All in all it was a successful day and I got to meet my public (some of the youngsters that have read my book and loved it!).

One wee boy reported that his class at school have all been reading the book. And they had to write a book report on it last week - for homework! And this week - again for homework - they have to construct something 3-D based on the book. You'd think he'd be sick of 'The Chess Piece Magician' but he tells me he has loved everything to do with the book and he loved the book itself.

There. Nothing personal. Just a wee success story. And you don't need to say anything in response to it, because that is not what I am writing this for. Just reading it is enough.


No comments: