Saturday 23 October 2010

WHAT I HAVE BEEN UP TO THIS WEEK!

BEING A WRITER (and not writing!)

I am just back from the city of Aberdeen where I have been doing a few book promotion events. On Wednesday 20th I ran two creative workshops for children as part of the Aberdeen Art Gallery's exhibition of The Lewis Chessmen (the second leg of their Scottish Tour). The workshops were a great success and the children really worked hard for me, which was terrific considering they were all officially on their mid-term break. Parents also hung around for the whole event, in numbers, and said afterwards how much they had also enjoyed the presentation and how inspiring it was. Ticks all the boxes I had hoped to tick, and books are selling through the gallery shop, and though I would never say it was a doddle (because I do work quite hard), it was fun and easier than the 'day-job'.

On Thursday 21st I returned to Aberdeen Art Gallery for a second event. I was interviewed for Shmu Radio and The Reading Bus Project that runs in Aberdeen. Two boys, David and Thomas, did an excellent job and had some really searching questions for me. I have never been interviewed and recorded before so this was very exciting. I was also asked to read from the book and that was recorded, too. And, what was really terrific, (all of it really) was that Jenny, who runs the project, and her American team-mate, who was overseeing the operation of the recording equipment, had both read my book - that really impressed me. They both enjoyed it, too, and that was a bonus. And in the 'down-time' at the end of the recording, the two young interviewers were seen huddled in a corner reading their own copies of the book. It doesn't get much better than that - a real ego-stroke moment.

Thank you to everyone who was involved in the organisation of these two events.


No comments: