Thursday 16 June 2011

Congrats to A.G.Taylor

I wrote a long while back about having made it to a very nice shortlist with my children's book 'The Chess Piece Magician'. I was one of five on the shortlist for The Heart of Hawick Children's Book Award. What this meant was that the organisation bought 70 copies of my book and distributed them to schools in Hawick. The children in Hawick then read the books on the shortlist and whole classes were inspired to do projects related to the books. All of that explains why I announced my shortlisting a long way back and am only now bringing the news.

Late in May of this year an event was held to announce the winner, to showcase the books and to display the children's amazing work. This year's winner is A.G.Taylor for his book 'Meteorite' and it's a cracker... so congrats to the writer.

For me, well, a shortlisting for an award was such a genuine thrill and having so many children reading the book and talking about it and doing work inspired by it... I have to pinch myself sometimes.

So, thanks to everyone in Hawick for this great award and for promoting books and reading in such a positive way.

No comments: