Thursday 16 January 2014

BESPOKEN (i)

A new year and new projects to dabble in.

I win competitions sometimes, with my stories, and when I do I think I should do something good with the money and sometimes I give some away to charitable causes. I saw an idea recently, online, and it was asking to be supported, financially, so I thought 'why not?' And I did. It's a project about writing and tailoring and it's called BESPOKEN. It's here if you want to look - they need more backers:

http://www.zequs.com/campaign/bespoken#.Utgd-v1tcy4

And they sent me by return a prompt to get me writing and I wrote a poem straight off - and I don't usually do poems, don't never, and it might not be much good, but here it is all the same.

FRAYED AT THE EDGES

Fury's tempered cold steel blade
cuts and cuts,
makes sharp and neat
an incision,
cloth spoiled,
fingered and fretted,
threads pulled
till everything unravels;
a soft jagged edge
feathered and frayed,
strands unpicked,
a scruffy lip-torn labial gape
and threads broken,
cloth un-clothed
pattern unpatterned
leaving an unsuitable suit
and a wedding unwedded.





2 comments:

Unknown said...

I really enjoyed this one, Douglas. Terrific images. I haven't checked out your blog for some time. Clearly, I need to do so more often.

Douglas Bruton said...

Stuart, didn't know you were a reader of the blog. Glad you liked the poem - as I said in the blog, not something I normally do, but this was a fun exercise. Am not particulalrly disposed to do more, but now I know you sometimes visit, I will put up more of the prose stuff I am doing.

Thanks for popping in.