Thursday 10 April 2014

SOMETHING THAT IS NOT...

I have said before that I do not write poetry, and I don't. Except today I wrote my second poem of this year. I stumbled upon a site that provides writing prompts and it says it wants to inspire a poem a week for a whole year and so there's a new prompt every seven days. Here's the site HERE and it's called 52.

And today you are encouraged to look anew at something that you have that is just everyday and ordinary. And I wrote this:



NOT TO BE WONDERED AT

In my hands a drip of amber
as big as a jewel
gold like honey nested in a spoon -
and caught in that amber swollen drop
a silver spindled spider
perfect and still new.

Years I marvelled
that spiders could be pretty
felt the reverential weight
of time and felt
a breathless wonder
at the easy cheat
of death

I paid the man in the shop
for Baltic amber
Jurate’s mermaid tears
but a recent exhibition took
my amber from me
too perfect, inviting scrutiny
plastic it probably is
no more or less
and the spider nearer in time
as near as spiders in my bathroom are

Held in my hand a trinket now
like diamonds that are really glass
or fool’s gold which is no gold at all
the wonder reduced
to a cheap trick
and the man in the shop
he did not smile
or give the game away
to me, a timeless fool.





No comments: