Monday 5 May 2014

Another thing from 52

(No, I am not turning into a poet… don't even think these are real poyems… but they are fun. This one looks into my name. There is a place in Somerset called 'Bruton'. I visited it once. Almost missed it, the sign obscured by hedgerows and the place so small. This is about that brief stop.)


MY NAME IS BRUTON

My name is from a place
far from me and today near
a place that was tall
in important once
a mint under Aethelred
who is called ‘Unready’
and I expected more
than a sleepy street
and a thrown bridge
over untroubled water

And I stopped
to spend a penny only
but the public toilet
was filled with smoke
billowing grey
and a red-faced man
dressed younger than he was
asked if I’d seen ‘em
bastards, he said,
and fuckin bastards

And they’d set the
toilet-paper banner aflame
when he was on the throne
and I hadn’t seen them
and I wanted to tell
my name, and drop it
from the bridge
into the innocent stream
and be the smallest part
of this sometime somewhere.




No comments: