Saturday 25 April 2015

MANY A SLIP 'TWIXT CUP AND LIP

This is a saying that I know and love; but there was a time when I had never heard it and hearing it for the first time made me laugh. You see, I had just proposed to a girl and she had phoned in some excitement to tell her mother and the mother's response was, 'Ah well, there's many a slip 'twixt cup and lip.' We didn't tell too many people for a while after that, preferring to keep it to ourselves for a bit - that way it was unsullied. I married that girl, so there.

These days it is a good story to tell and so I have a lot of fondness for the expression. I also hold it to heart and so I am not going to say too much here about the great news I have had, except to announce that I have had very good news this week. I am talking about writing news and as soon as things are all tied up and knotted in a neat bow and made bridesmaid-presentable, then I will say more.

But just like all those years ago and we couldn't wait to tell someone, well, I had to post this.

And, by the way, my own mother's response when we phoned her with news of our engagement was that there was a horse race on the tv and she had a ten pence bet on with my father and could I call her back a little later when the race was over. My mother was not a horse race person and she was not a betting person - yes, it made no sense to me either.


No comments: