Wednesday 10 August 2016

ED SHEERAN AGAIN!

So, see post below about Ed Sheeran's 'Photograph'.

And in the news now he's being sued for 'Thinking Out Loud' and its relationship to Marvin Gaye's 'Let's Get it on'. 

I listened to both songs separately. I am not musical and to me they sounded so different. Then I listened to a 'mash-up' of the two songs and could sort of see (or hear). This is the link if you want to listen, too: http://me.popsugar.com/celebrity/Ed-Sheeran-Sued-Marvin-Gaye-42197474

To be honest though, I am less interested in the copyright battle here than I am in what is going on in the creative minds of the writers of 'Thinking Out Loud'. Here are two musicians who will have spent their entire lives doing music and listening with a studied intensity that is deep and absorbing. My question is: how can they not write in the 'language' they have learned? 

I think neuro-science has to work on explaining creativity and how it operates, though common sense says that we 'speak' in the langauage we are brought up with and we repeat what we have learned and the rhythms of that language are built into us… and maybe we move it on a bit, too.

Like in my post below, I cannot believe that two creative artists deliberately ripped off Marvin Gaye and then put it out there on the biggest public stage for all to see (hear) and scrutinise. That doesn't make sense. It just doesn't make sense. 

What do you think?


No comments: