Friday 12 November 2021

A NOD FROM THE GOLDSMITH'S PRIZE CHAIR!!!!

I love it when, once a book competition is over, a judge singles out for mention some other books that were worth commending but didn’t make the shortlist. I knew my publisher, Fairlight Books, had entered my wee Blue Postcards into this year’s Goldsmith’s Prize (a big UK prize awarded to novels that are novel and which extend the form). When the shortlist of six was announced in October I did hope – well you would wouldn’t you? And I was a little disappointed not to find my name on the list. But then you move on.

Thrilled today to be told that the chair of the judges, Nell Stevens, now the winner has been announced, has mentioned some other books she thought worthy of recognition. I love that and I love it all the more because Blue Postcards is one of the four books she has singled out. I feel like a writer again! Here is her tweet about the four books she draws attention to:

2 comments:

Annie said...

I thought this fabulous! Thank you.

Douglas Bruton said...

Annie - thank you for taking the time to read my wee book and to come here and comment so positively. I am so glad you enjoyed 'Blue Postcards'. Writing can be a bit like sending a message in a bottle out to sea and you stand on an empty beach waiting for a reply that may never come. Maybe you understand that. Anyway, thank you. x