Thursday 28 January 2010

FUN WITH NIK AND JANE


(sorry people, this is an essay… but it is, I think, worth reading)
Jane:
There’s a writer I know who gives advice to other writers. She has a blog that provides an insight into how the publishing industry really works. But her advice wanders beyond her sphere of expertise sometimes. Maybe we all do that. She says in one of her blog posts to do your research thoroughly and to double check your facts. I have done this here.
Last January, Jane set up a collaborative fiction site with herself as editor. She invented a place and invited writers to send flash fiction pieces to populate her town with characters and places and happenings. I played and very quickly had four pieces hung up on her site (and one rejection). Then something happened that made me question an editorial decision she had made which was against her own stated rules – I wasn’t the only one who thought this was the case. I don’t think Jane liked that I was so public in defence of my point of view. She sent me an e-mail that said she didn’t know whether to kiss me or slap me (kiss me for my beautiful words or slap me for publicly calling into question her editorial ability or arguing so strongly for a better decision). She said that she would have to cool off before deciding whether or not to use any of my other subbed pieces. She was very cross.
Then she helped make very public a charge of plagiarism against me.
Things crumbled a bit after that, with her collaborative fiction site stumbling forward for a month or so before finally coming to a halt. A while later she removed my pieces from her site and in their place made public the idea that I was a bad sort.
Jane also sent me an e-mail warning me against using the idea of an invented place like hers and populating it with my pieces and more. It was a long, calm and very threatening communication. She had sued the Daily Mail, she said, and won tens of thousands of pounds in damages. I should be careful, she said. She was serious. Even the pieces that she had not hung on the site, because they were originally written for her project, might not be mine to do with as I pleased. I thought the world had flipped and gone mad and that this was totally unfair.
I have blogged aplenty on this site in defence of all my writing. Jane was wrong in the charges she made against me. So very wrong. My ‘offending’ stories are clearly visible now (through a blatant infringement of my copyright and accompanied by a stream of misrepresentation and lies). The stories are called ‘Waiting in The Scriptorium’ and ‘Mondays Smell of Burnt Toast’… you can read them if you search for them – please read them, for it is clear that my stories are not examples of plagiarism and Jane should think so too.
(Now to my research) On Jane’s publishing advice blog site one of her very first posts points out that: a) ‘there is no copyright on ideas’, and b) ‘specific arrangements of words can be protected’ but ‘the idea (storyline) will not be, as ideas are fair game’. All those words are hers, including what is in parenthesis.
Read my stories and it is clear that no specific arrangements of words have been stolen. I have admitted to having sometimes found inspiration elsewhere and used ideas from other sources and made them my own by what I have done with them. That’s what artists do, don’t you know. But I have never taken another's words and pretended that they were my mine.
Despite this, Jane still maintains that I have transgressed! This does not fit with her definition of what is allowed, her understanding of ideas as ‘fair game’ as expressed on her blog.
She now claims that with my Port Brokeferry project I am thief again, now stealing from her.
Jane got the idea for her January 2009 collaborative fiction project from other projects she had seen including a project called ‘Blue Rock’ where a writer had set up a very similar collaborative writing project, inventing his own fictional place and inviting poets to write poetry to populate his town with characters, places and happenings. Jane took this idea and, not wanting to merely replicate it, tweaked the idea, asking for 500 word long pieces of flash fiction instead of poetry. (Am I wrong or is flash fiction not sometimes seen as a sort of prose-poetry?).
I do not say that in doing this Jane was doing wrong. I agree with her that ‘there is no copyright on ideas’ and ‘ideas are fair game’. But why does she get so irate then when I set up my own fictional place (not collaborative, but just me) and populate it with characters I had invented initially for her now floundered project, and other characters I continue to invent?
Could it be because she has decided to slap me instead of kiss me? And slap me and slap me and slap me.
Jane has recently said she is too tired to be bothered with legal action against me over Port Brokeferry. Or maybe she realises that in this instance and by her own measure of what can and cannot be protected, she is WRONG. (see Malcolm Gladwell below and my other ‘essays’).
Nik:
And Nik: a knight to Lady Jane and all those other women who have attacked me. Nik posts my name on his blog last week and calls me vile and thief and hangs lies about me on his page.
I do not know why Nik reminds me of the Andrex puppy – blundering through reams and reams of toilet paper and making such a mess and everyone going ‘awww’ because the puppy is so cute.
Nik blogs about the pen he writes with, and the colour of ink he uses, and his handwriting; he blogs about taking off his beard and his lack of success in love. And now he blogs about me. That would be fine if he had anything real to say on the matter, but he tells lies about me. He did it before on another site. I thought those lies the blundering of an Andrex puppy, so I sent him a polite e-mail putting him right on the details he had got wrong. Now he reproduces precisely the same lies, and so I think him malicious, and a nuisance.
The Fun:
To be honest, there has been no fun for me in this. (sorry if the title of the post made you think there might be). I have been labelled as ‘criminal’ without trial. I have been called 'low' and ‘bloody low’, by people who have believed what Jane has said, or people who have gone on the say so of other shouty voices. For over six months I have had people think me bad, the worst that ever crawled the planet. Read my work and you will see that I am a writer who is worth reading (I hope) and not a writer who takes others’ words and makes them my own. Read my work and see sense, not the nonsense of others. Do your research and check your facts before making judgement.

(I am adding a footnote to this post. Today, Saturday 30th January, there have been developments. Someone spoke up to say that my stories do not represent plagiarism. This person even added a comment on Jane Smith's blog. Look up 'How Publishing Really Works' and look at her posts on the subject of plagiarism. Jane's answer was to say that this person speaking out in my defence was the same person as me. Jane had, she said, used fancy computer gadgets and her technological wizardry to establish that this person shared the same IP address as me. This is a lie. This supportive person has posted his whole profile up for people to check. He lives in England; I live in Scotland. He is young; I am not. How could Jane have established that we shared the same IP address? Fact: she couldn't have. Jane Smith Lies. This should be shouted loud. Jane Smith lies. If she lies about this, then how much more of what she has said is a lie? In a court of law this would be the point at which her entire testimony would be thrown out and the jury directed to totally disregard anything she has said.
There is still no fun for me in any of this.)

9 comments:

William Shears said...

Storys about imaginary characters populating an imaginary place is hardly an original idea; Eastenders, Coronation Street, Emerdale, etc. etc., so for anyone to claim that this is their original idea is living in 'Cloud Cuckooland'. Surely what matters is the characters and storylines created by you as the writer, and if the charachters which have been created by you are evicted from one place, then surely as their creater it's up to you decide wether they disapear completely or just move on to more pleasant pastures.

Douglas Bruton said...

JANE'S LIE

In a comment on Jane's 'Anti-Plagiarism Day' post (See 'How Publishing Really Works' - Plagiarism) she attempts to further discredit me. She does so by lieing about a person calling him/herself William Shears. William has taken my side in this debate. Jane says William and I share an IP address. I state publicly here that Jane Smith lies. She is the first I have properly named in this sorry saga, the first I have named on my blog. I do so now because she continues to bedevil me and will go to any lengths to harm me and my reputation. She and I are the only ones who can know the truth about this... and William Shears, of course. But William must have a good reason to fear using his/her own name... well look at what Jane Smith says she does... she says she has been in contact with editors and competition judges and told them about me and so taken away my market for writing... that's enough that I would be worried about naming myself and publicly standing against her.

And so I say again. Read my stories (posted by Doug Cheadle) and read my blog posts and check the facts and make up your own mind about what I have or haven't done. Don't go on Jane Smith's say so or anyone elses.

If she has lied about the IP address, how much more of what she has said is a lie?

Douglas Bruton said...

Ah, so the mysterious William Shears makes an appearance here! Thank you for your support (both here and on the equally mysterious Doug Cheadle's blog).

I hope you have read Jane Smith's recent comments re your identity. They will convince you further that she is a bad person in all of this.

William Shears said...

"She and I are the only ones who can know the truth about this... and William Shears, of course";

if anyone has any doubts, ask Jane for her evidence. Not only do we not share a computer we don't even live in the same country!

Douglas Bruton said...

And there's a picture to go with who you are, William... and guess what? You look nothing like me.

What will she say now, I wonder.

Douglas Bruton said...

Now Jane Smith is claiming that something odd happens with her gadgets and that this made her wrong and not dishonest. Well, she would say that wouldn't she?

And she says she doesn't want to rehash this whole story. As one of the principal architects of this whole plagiarism charge against me, I am sure she would like all this to just quietly go away rather than admit that there were other lies in what she said about me.

But my reputation has been damaged by this and so at the risk of being tedious and obsessive, I will not let this die a quiet death.

Parallellen said...

What a crazy world. People trying to stop you from using your OWN writing and then publishing your stories without permission, using slanderous titles: How is that not stealing, I wonder.
I sincerely hope you'll find a way to solve this strange business once and for all, and may the Writing Muse be with you!
Best wishes
Carol

Douglas Bruton said...

Thanks for your support, Carol.

I do not know if this can ever be resolved. There are some people involved, hiding behind false names, and saying anything they want without fear of being properly challenged. Any support that comes my way they damn with further fabrications.

They do not seem to be prepared to acknowledge that intellectual analysis of all of this does not support what they are saying. Instead they simply go on making the same charges.

I will carry on doing what I do.

Douglas Bruton said...

Some news on this... 10th February 2010.

As further evidence of Jane manipulating her 'facts': Jane has been on her own blog to quietly amend what she has said on copyright. She has added stuff that was not there before; she now says you cannot steal another writer's structure, character etc.

Why has she done this? Because what she had originally said supported what I have done as a writer and she did not like that.

What she has now said does not chime so closely with what the Copyright Licensing Agency says about copyright.

This is woman who cannot be trusted. This is a woman who goes to any length to discredit me, to vent her spite against me.

I do not know if she acts alone in this.