Saturday 9 January 2010

Theft or Not Theft

Noah built a boat in the Bible. When someone dies it is customary for a will to be read that disperses that dead person's belongings to his friends and close relatives. Names from myth and legend and literature carry 'meaning' and so writers will borrow these names to say something about their own characters. What am I talking about? Read on.


That mad woman is at it again. Now I am charged on her blog with something new. She says that she had to close down her writing workshop site because of me. To let you understand I was summarily ejected from the site when this woman decided I was ‘bad’ and no access allowed by me to any of my many pieces of work on the site. That should have meant that the site could continue. It has, after all, reconfigured itself under another name so is still operating in pretty much the same form as before.
This mad woman, who flings her frustration around making a sham of all her other ‘good’ qualities of tolerance and understanding and justice, was already withdrawing from the site she had set up. She had a sabbatical even when I was there, leaving me at the helm while she was away, and she came back only sporadically to participate in exciting projects that were initiated by myself and other members. That she is not part of this new set up is a decision she has made and not one that was necessarily shared by other members of her original site since some of them continue to work in the same way on this new site.
The truth is that after I was thrown out I did receive support from writers from this workshop place – more than this mad woman could know or ever will know. One who has shown me support has asked me not to publicly reveal his/her name because he/she is frigthtened of what this mad woman can do to a person’s reputation when she is angered. I can understand that fear. The sphere of influence of this mad woman feels very broad.
And what is it that I am supposed to have stolen from her? What exactly?
I wrote a flash fiction piece called ‘A Pebble From The River For Annie’ where, as penance, a woman called Annie slips a pebble in her shoe for a wrong that she does and walks forever after with a limp. This ‘idea’ I discovered later in a poem that this woman had written. It is not a new idea and so I do not claim ownership of it. She said in her defence that her poem had been workshopped some time before my story was read by her. But if it hadn’t, then this is the level of theft that this woman accuses me of: the theft of an idea that cannot be owned.
This woman wrote a story where a boat was being built and the builder had a name from Greek myth as a forename. (Just as Stephen Dedalus borrows his surname from mythology in Joyce’s ‘A Portrait of The Artist as a Young Man’!) At the end of this woman’s story the body of a dead man (not the boat builder) was laid in the boat and his friends dropped farewell gifts into the boat before it was burned as a funeral rite. I read this piece of hers and studied it and gave her helpful detailed feedback on how the piece might be tightened. She had asked me to do this as she had with several of her stories. She commended me on my insights. Then some weeks later on a workshop site I did a flash fiction piece on the theme of ‘madness’. We were encouraged on the site (by this same mad woman mostly) to tackle some flash fiction writing exercises blind – like automatic writing… just setting the pen free on the page and not trying to control what we were writing too much… she even suggested doing it drunk to see what the creative inner voice threw up. I wrote a piece about a man called Noah who was mad with grief for he had just lost his wife. As part of that madness he built a boat in his front garden, and the neighbourhood children laughed and pointed at him and everyone thought him mad for there was no use for a boat far from any water as they were (some biblical influence there, I think).  I afterwards recognised that this had also some influence from the tv programme NCIS with Gibbs building his boat in a cellar – a boat that would be too big to get out without the demolition of the cellar…  all as part of his madness and grief over his lost wife and child. In my piece Noah put wheels on his boat and a sail. Before departing he dispersed all his belongings as gifts to his neighbours. Then the village wakes one morning to find the boat and Noah gone, his gifts to them on their front steps and wheel tracks as gouges in the front lawn of Noah’s house.
This woman’s claim is that I stole the idea of naming my character after a figure from myth from her; I stole the idea of a boat being built from her; I stole the idea of farewell gifts from her. That she claims ownership of these ‘ideas’ is patently absurd. These are things that cannot be owned. That her story may have been one of several influences somewhere in my head when I was writing I concede (along with a Terry Wogan morning programme I had listened to just prior to the writing of my piece and after which I made notes for the piece whilst sitting in my car). But that any of this could be counted as theft is clearly crazy. Only afterwards could I see where the seeds of my story were… and they were scattered across many fields. What is needed in this discussion of ownership of ideas is some sense. I wrote a post below called ‘Something Borrowed’ and I urge anyone interested in this matter to read Malcolm Gladwell’s essay referred to there.
I have already (see posts below on this blog) laid bare the borrowings this mad writer made from Raymond Carver’s writing in one of her stories. (borrowings that I think are a legitimate part of the creative process and so not, in my view, theft) I was led to discover these borrowings by her own admission that she had found inspiration in Carver. My ‘borrowings’ with my Noah story are much much smaller than hers with Carver – slight by comparison, and indeed owe more to a tv programme and the Bible than they do to her piece. My flash fiction story has been published in a competition anthology. This occurred after the mad writer challenged the publisher and sent him a copy of her piece. The publisher judged, quite rightly,  that there was no issue to answer and felt completely safe in publishing my story.
I said only recently on this blog that enough was enough on this matter and had resolved to say no more. Only this new charge has forced me to speak out again and she is back to calling me thief. If that I am, then she is too. I contend that I have not stolen from this writer and her claim that I have is patently mad.

19 comments:

fairyhedgehog said...

Thanks for commenting on my blog.

I can't help thinking of Terry Pratchett who won't let anyone suggest what he should write about because then they will try and take the credit - even if he thought of the same idea independently.

Douglas Bruton said...

And doesn't that sound absurd? That a writer should be so scared of something that is so normal: we do not write in a vacuum; we cannot escape the influence of the world we live in: what we read, watch, hear, overhear, learn. An idea is just that, an idea. Seeing its potential and then making it into something more is the greater work.

Writers are reknowned 'kleptomaniacs', finding shiny things in their experience (in the broadest sense of that word) and finding those shiny things entering the pieces that they write. This is not theft in any real sense... it is a natural part of the creative process.

Malcolm Gladwell in an essay called 'Something Borrowed' speaks sense on the issue. Not everyone does.

thanks for popping by and for reading what I have written.

D

fairyhedgehog said...

If things had been the same in Shakespeare's time I wonder how many lawsuits he would have been looking at.

Douglas Bruton said...

fairyhedgehog,

I have blogged about this very point. See my post titled 'In Good Company'.

I have just written another blog post called 'Policing The Muse' and will post it here before the end of the month.

Writers should stand up and speak out against this nonsense. Writing was developed for the transmission of ideas, the sharing of ideas, not for the establishment of ownership of ideas.

D

Marisa Birns said...

Hello, I have come over from Nicola Morgan's blog party.

How absurd the whole situation is with mad woman!

You are correct in saying that we cannot avoid the world's influences, its universal themes.

And writers should be united in a community of support; it's hard enough out there.

I look forward to reading your work.

Douglas Bruton said...

Of course, Marisa, you are here reading my side of the story. Mad woman would tell it differently. I am sure.

Nevertheless, I stand by my belief that ideas are not owned, not in art or in fiction.

Thanks for dropping in on my blog. I hope you like the real stuff here, which is the work I post, the Port Brokeferry flashes and other pieces. Come by again soon.

Douglas

Thomas Taylor said...

A potentially thorny issue, but it sounds like you've done nothing more than wander down the beach alongside the rest of us, picking up pebbles as they please you. We'd be in a pickle if everyone started fencing off bits of the beach as their own private property.

Douglas Bruton said...

Good metaphor, Thomas, though I'd say I have not removed any pebbles from any beach, but merely photographed them and not real photographs, but mental pictures.

And you are right. The thorns on this issue can be lethal. But they shouldn't be.

And anyway, how can it be theft when someone uses an idea of yours if at the end of the day you still have what was 'taken' from you?

There are no fences on my beach.

Best of luck with your own writing.

Douglas

Karen Jones Gowen said...

Hmmm, interesting post! I always have contended that numerous mentally ill people are walking around in the world, working, socializing, having families, interracting with neighbors and coworkers, and all this time people are wondering ...What the heck is wrong with________? Well, they're mentally ill and not getting treatment, that's what!

Sounds like you have run across one of them. Uggh, it's horrible.

Oh btw, I came here from Nicola's blog and I think I'll start following you. I just have to learn how this all plays out, don't I?

best of luck with your trial, here.

Douglas Bruton said...

Actually, Karen, the trial is at least 6 months old... what you are reading here is the fall out.

I have done a lot of thinking since then, a lot of reading and a lot of soul searching. I am generous with my ideas. I give them away... partly because that's the kind of person I am and partly because I do sincerely believe that ideas have a much broader common ownership.

I do not believe in the use of another's words - although there is a case to be made for that too... read Malcolm Gladwell - but I do believe that inspiration and influence are all just other names for the using of others' ideas.

This woman who continues to snipe at me, she is a good writer... but she does just the same as we all do and finds influence in the work of others. That is ok. I support that. What I don't get is why she continues with the petty sniping.

But then it is known that if you cross her she can be a force of nature in her own right... and there are many who shrink from her critical tongue.

I personally think she is wrong on this one, even though I can see something of her point of view. What I can't accept is the sniping she does. That's why I keep addressing the whole 'ideas' thing here.

Thanks for popping by. I hope you find the time to read some of my actual work on the site. That's what I am really all about.

best of luck

Douglas

Colette Martin said...

Douglas, I am also here from Nicola's party. I thoroughly enjoyed your story about madwoman, and feel certain that some great piece of fiction will come from this with an antagonist who closely resembles madwoman. (Feel free to use that idea.)

Douglas Bruton said...

Thank you, Colette for the idea (now is it yours or mine?) I tell you what, Colette, why don't you write the piece and feel free to use anything I have thrown up here.

For me the whole thing leaves a bad taste in my mouth and I do not think I could bring myself to write it as fiction. Besides, I am just too busy. I have written two stories since the new year and three other flashed pieces. I am supposed to be finishing my second children's novel; I am working on my Port Brokeferry project and I have three full length adult fiction projects swirling in my head.

Thanks for dropping in on my blog. Hope I see you here again. Maybe read some of my fiction instead of my essays on ideas.

Best of luck

Douglas

Douglas Bruton said...

To anyone coming here from Nicola's party... there is a sour 'anonymous' who has jumped to the defence of this woman referred to by me as mad. She may well visit your blog to muddy my name. I hope that if this happens you visit my other blog posts on this subject.

I am not a plagiarist. Not by any definition that the mad women would swear by. I do not steal others' words. I have sometimes been influenced by others' works as she herself has been, and I have never tried to hide this. See my blog posts.

It is perhaps wrong to call her mad. But there is most certainly an intellectual blindspot there somewhere.

Karen Jones Gowen said...

Douglas, yes the Anon. blogger visited my site. No big deal, just some drama in my day. And as for the idea about "stealing ideas." What is that all about anyway? There are NO new ideas! All stories are basically about the same things, it's the manner of telling or writing them that makes them original. A good writer can write about their day at the laundromat and make it interesting. A bad writer can have the most promising plot in the world and make it so dull nobody cares. Maybe idea stealing means something in the corporate world, but in the literary world, it means nothing. It's how you write that really counts, not what you write.

Douglas Bruton said...

Karen

Exactly! But there is a coterie of like-minded people, supporters of this 'mad woman', and they are determined to keep my name black... even when they have a limited understanding of the matters involved and a limited knowledge and get things so wrong in what they say I have done or what they think has happened.

Anonymous has said that because I do not name these people on my blog, including the 'mad woman', that this is evidence of my duplicity in the affair. Another patent absurdity. I do not think it right to cause others public harm by naming and shaming in this way - even though this is what 'she' has done and still does. This 'mad woman' is a good writer and we once worked closely and well together. I do not mean her harm. I just wish she would stop with her attacks on my character.

I have laid out all my 'sins' here on this blog. I do not think I have done anything unreasonable and not anything wrong. The fact that this 'mad woman' has done precisely the same level of borrowing with a Raymond Carver story serves to further convince me that this is all part of the creative process. That she refuses to see it is what makes her in this respect 'mad'.

I am also charged by Anonymous of trying to garner support for my case with this blog post. If you look at my blog you will see that I normally collect very few comments. I posted this post not to collect support or sympathy. I posted it because this 'mad woman' was again calling me thief on her blog. The fact that some people have supported me today I know is because we are all at an 'ether-real party' and we are all being nice to each other as people are at parties. Time will tell if I have gathered here any real support.

Most important is that my side of the story is made accessible to anyone interested in my work enough to want to find out.

Thanks, Karen, for popping back in.

Best wishes

Douglas

Jill said...

I've come to your blog from Nicola's and like it, but feel badly that I've stumbled in on a bad note. I'm sorry you've had this problem--unfortunately, there's really no new ideas out there, just what we do with them that's different.

Douglas Bruton said...

Thanks for coming over here Arabella, Yes, sorry that this feels like the anti-party. I did not expect to be at a party when I wrote this post and did not expect so many visitors here.

I do hope that you read some of the work posted here. It is the work that I hope is worth reading.

Best wishes

Douglas

Nicola Morgan said...

Douglas, I've only just come across these comments. I am uncomfortable that people have stumbled across this story after coming to you from my blog party, which was an innocent and, I thought, generous, opportunity for all sorts of writers to promote their blogs. The inference that people might take from the comments here is that I sent readers over here to see the story and, as you know, I didn't. I would like it noted for the record that I had no idea you were blogging on this topic when you commented on my blog that day, amongst about 190 other comments from a whole range of bloggers. I feel somewhat used and I hope I wasn't...

I am very uncomfortable about people talking about someone as a "madwoman" in this way and I don't think it reflects well on anyone. Obviously there's a lot of anger going on on both sides and I think it's gone too far. I am not going to be drawn into it in any way, but I felt that since I'd been mentioned several times in the comments here, I should set my own record straight.

Douglas Bruton said...

Dear Nicola

when you host a party and anyone can come, you are not then responsible for what they talk about. I did not expect many people to come here from your party. I only came across your party at the very last minute and joined in without even knowing what my last blog post here was. I assure you that this was not a manipulative move on my part and you should not feel used, because you have not been used. Actually, I hoped that people would read the creative stuff more than the rest.

I do not think that anyone thinks you sent them here, Nicola. I don't really know why you would think that.

When I wrote of this woman as 'mad-writer' I was actually referring to how cross she was. Maybe I have been cross too... at the lies that have been generated against me; at the malice of some of those involved. I tried on my blog to write sensibly and calmly on the subject... for months, but then this 'mad-woman' took my name and hung it on her blog as a byword for word-thief. Then, when I calmly pointed to how mean she was being, she blogged some more about me and lied in things she said. I am glad that she has since removed some of what she said, but there are still untruths on her blog about me.

I think under the circumstances I might be permitted a little anger of my own... and I think you'll find that I have stayed mostly calm and have not till very recently used names like they have used mine.

More recent developments with Jane Smith and her partner in crime, Doug Cheadle, have forced me to name these people doing me unaccountable and real wrong. I have not, however, revealed the full extent of their doings. That may come out in due course.

You are right in saying this is doing nobody any good... but what I am about is establishing how malicious these people have been against me, under the guise of doing all writers good. My name is all mud, thanks to their efforts, and it is not deserved.

Nicola, I do not attach you to any of this. You have sometimes commented and made some sense in what you have said. I think others do see that, too.