Sunday 18 December 2016

Umbrellas of Edinburgh


https://www.freightbooks.co.uk/product/umbrellas-of-edinburgh/
Umbrellas of Edinburgh ed by Russell Jones and Claire Askew


So, here's a neat idea: take a city that is almost universally loved and beautiful and full of life; get a bunch of writers to write about it - poetry and prose; then stick everything into a nice book with illustrations. That's 'Umbrellas of Edinburgh' and it makes a great gift for anyone in love with the city or belonging here, or visiting or intending to visit, or having visited and wanting to remember.

There are some great writers in this collection and it is such an eclectic mix that there's bound to be something for you, whoever you are. I am so so so pleased to be in here - not just because it's good company to be in, but because I love the city. It has my roots (such as they are) and it has my heart. I walk around the city like a tourist but also with a sense of belonging - I belong to the city and the city belongs to me - and I am always smiling there.

Here's a neat review of the book that appeared in The Scotsman Newspaper… and I get a wonderful mention here, which is truly surprising and such a lift.

http://www.scotsman.com/lifestyle/culture/books/book-review-umbrellas-of-edinburgh-eds-russell-jones-and-claire-askew-1-4312221

Go buy a copy and visit Edinburgh every time you open the pages.



No comments: