Friday 27 March 2009

THE SCHOOLGIRL CORINNE


Sometimes, at the moment of writing, the piece you have written seems wonderful to you. Then days or weeks or months later, you are not so sure. I have written a fourth piece that has gone up on Greyling Bay, and it is a piece that I think is pretty damn near perfect. I read it and read it and read it, and the words all seem right, and clever. And there is an ache in it that is so adolescent, and yet somehow bigger than that. And it is about my favourite poem - loved it when I found it as a boy and love it still: W B Yeats' 'She Wishes For The Cloths of Heaven'. I am so pleased this is out there where it can be read for free. Go read my 'Cor-Blimey Corinne'


4 comments:

CathM said...

I’ve read this piece, ‘Cor-Blimey Corinne’ and ‘Darius Bredwyn is Loved’ on Greyling Bay. I do admire your writing style which is affectionate and astute. There is a quality about your writing manner that I think moves effortlessly between adult and youth fiction. Incredibly beautiful writing!

Douglas Bruton said...

Thank you Cath. I really appreciate you popping by and taking the time to read my work. Glad, too, that you like the two Greyling Bay pieces.

I have a great deal of affection for Mr Darius Bredwyn... he's fun and he's interesting and he's a good man.

D

CathM said...

Hmmmmmm... yes - I picked up on your frustration at your character, Mr Darius Bredwyn, being misunderstood and possibly aligned (by other readers) from the lengthy discourse following 'The Outsiders' post. Your affection and loyalty to the core/truth of your characters is evident :) I'm looking forward to seeing how you resurrect his honour and credibility in your next Greyling Bay contribution (smile)!

Douglas Bruton said...

Thanks Cath... not sure yet if Jane is going to let me play anymore, given the 'furore' I stirred up.

Nemmind... plenty more games to play. Have an idea for a village of my own and Darius and Corinne might well wander along there... we'll see.

D