Wednesday 15 April 2009

VESTAL REVIEW AND MY DAD AND SHACKLETON


I am so pleased that Vestal Review accepted and published a flash fiction piece of mine called 'FOLDING SHACKLETON INTO A MATCHBOX'. It is a story inspired by my dad's telling of what happened to a white mouse he had when he was a boy. The mouse was killed by the family cat. I called the mouse Shackleton, because my dad, who had few heroes, looked up to this man.

Vestal Review have put my piece alongside eight other pieces, given each work its own space, laid out like a poem on the page, like the work has respect from them. The publication is beautifully produced. That means such a lot with this piece.

I think my dad would have liked what I did with his story. I wish he could have read it.

6 comments:

C. J. Flood said...

Hi D,

Glad to hear Shackleton got picked up, especially as it is so poignant. I just read Cor Blimey Corinne and loved it. Lovely to read your stuff again.

I hope all is going well.

Chelsey x

Douglas Bruton said...

Hey Chelsey

Great you dropped by. I was just thinking about you yesterday and wondering how you were.

Yes, I am so so pleased about 'Shackleton' getting to such a good place. Glad, too, that you liked Corinne.

All is pretty good at this end.

Hope it's the same for you and you are well and the world is being good to you.

Best always.

D
x

Sandy K. said...

I found my way here after reading your post on Curious Girl's Blog. It was lovely, and sums up how I feel when the sensory experience hits me. Happy spring, in Scotland. And congratulations on the publication of your piece. I am working on my own dream come true, as well:).

Douglas Bruton said...

Sandy, thanks for popping by. Funny how this internet thingy works in linking people together from all corners.

Glad you liked my comment on CG's blog.

Love your own photo's by the way. Very beautiful. And now you are challenged to post once a day. I shall check in from time to time to see how you are doing.

And what's your dream when it comes true? best of luck with it.

D

CathM said...

Douglas, you haven't provided a link to your flash fiction,'FOLDING SHACKLETON INTO A MATCHBOX'... I would have liked to read it. Anyway, loads of CONGRATS for it!

Douglas Bruton said...

Sorry Cath... there isn't a link for this piece... it is a print version only... available from Vestal Review. It is a beautiful publication and all the pieces are laid on the page with a generosity to the text that is rare. Worth every penny, I'd say.

Thanks for the interst. I will be posting some of my pieces here in the near future.

best wishes

D