Sunday 19 May 2013

CLEVER AND WITTY AND THOUGHT-PROVOKING

I remember when I graducated from art college, oh years back, and the thrill of it all and the whole of my future laid out before me. But the thing is, and I only know that now, that I was not an artist... not with a capital 'A'. I made pictures and I understood about composition and I could draw and paint passably well... but I never really used pictures to express myself... I never felt I had something to say in pictures... so I became a writer and found that I had stuff to say there, or at least I found that words and stories expressed my inner self in a way that pictures I made did not.

On Friday I attended my middle son's degree show. It took me back and I felt so excited for him and so proud... so immensely proud, the way only a father can feel proud. And I saw in my son's show what never was in mine. I saw an Artist who was brave and witty and clever and who had something to say and something that was him and was not easy. I wrestled with what he had to show me and I woke on Saturday, and again today, thinking about what he had done. It was someone else who said he was clever and witty and thought-provoking; I only agree.

So, to my grown up boy, with the whole of his future laid out before him, I say congratulations and good luck and thank you for making me see, really see, and for making me proud.



No comments: