Friday 15 April 2011

SAD SAD NEWS

I have just visited the JBWB site (Jacqui Bennett's Writers' Bureau). There is some very sad news there. Jenny Hewitt who ran the operation and who was an excellent judge of creative writing and a truly nice person, sadly passed away on the 18th March. She was a keen voice in the encouragement of new writing and new writers. Whenever I entered a competition at JBWB I felt that I was writing for Jenny personally, such was the flavour of her personal notes of encouragement, always looking forward to reading the next entry - and she meant it when she said that.

I shall miss her cheery responses. Although JBWB will continue to operate as normal, it can never be the same without Jenny. She will be sorely missed by many people and many writers.

My sincere condolences to anyone close to Jenny.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I have also just heard about Jenny. I won a competition of hers many years ago, and always remember her ringing me personally to let me know. Strangely, almost 10 years on I entered her competition this year in December and her emails were always so lovely, so personal. I never met her, but always had the highest regard for what she was doing at JBWB. What a sad loss of a lovely, lovely lady.

Douglas Bruton said...

Dear Nigel

Thanks for popping by and for sharing in this sad post. No, I never met her either; that can happen in the blogosphere and yet it can still feel like you know the person. Jenny was always very personal in her e-mails to me and very warm and very supportive, and so I am saddened by this news.

Best wishes to you

D