Monday 25 April 2011

WHY?

Why do we do this writing thing? I think the layman, the man in the street, the man in my street (and the woman, too) think it is because of the money. I am not the first or the last to laugh at this. I just about break ahead at the moment, and that's with some biggish competition wins each year, and enough of them, and a children's book out there. I certainly do not make enough I could give up the day job, not even for a single month (not that I would anyway, thank you very much).

There's a great blogpost here: http://patriciaannmcnair.com/blog/

I think it says it all and says it in an amusing way, too, and this from a writer who might be judged to have made a success of writing... on her own terms.

Of course there are those who rake in millions, and there are those who eke out a living from it. But there are far more of us who simply do it for something other than money.

I used to act. It was like donning a mask and becoming an extrovert at no risk. I am a teacher and that is something the same. And now I write, and you know, it is not so very different. It is a way to express myself; it is me being creative (and I need to be that); it is something that I love (having loved reading first); and (I am told) my writing brings pleasure to others who read it... the better question is why wouldn't I be a writer?

It is not the money, not ever the money, not even the lure of it.

2 comments:

Patricia Ann McNair said...

Dear Douglas,

Thanks so much for linking to my blog. There is a whole lot of writing conversation going on over there; it would be great to hear more from you, as well. All best- Patricia Ann McNair

Douglas Bruton said...

Dear Patricia

I am not welcome by at least one of the persons leading the discussion on your blog and did not wish to darken your place by contributing there. I have been following the discussion at a distance. Lots of interest there. Thanks for approving the link to your blog in my post.

Sincerely
D