Wednesday 3 February 2010

ALL YOU NEED IS LOVE

('All you need is love. Love is all you need.' This is something that people should embrace. This is something that people need to take more to heart. Instead, the world is full of pettiness and harsh words and people who have forgotten love. It can be easy sometimes to forget. Here, I am remembering. All you need is love, and the world is then a better place.)

Two things to be pleased about:
Secondly, I have just received in the post my copy of The Momaya Review 2009. I think it came out at the end of 2009, but clearly I missed this. However, it is with me now, happily. A lovely glossy cover and a neat production that feels good in the hand. Some very good work in here and I am so pleased that I have a story in it, too: ‘Annie and Father Cuthbert’s Kisses’.
Thanks to everyone at Momaya for this. Look out for this year’s competition.


And finally, a young pupil at my school approached me this week to say he had read my children’s novel, ‘The Chess Piece Magician’. And he thought it was really good. I detected some surprise in how he said it and challenged him on this. ‘Did you expect it to be rubbish then?’ He said no but that the book had exceeded his expectations and he had enjoyed it. I thanked him for reading the book and for such positive feedback. His parting shot as he left the room, nodding his head, was that he thought I had talent. I loved that. So much that if I could find a way of putting iton the book’s cover, I would.

4 comments:

Parallellen said...

Just bought a copy of The Chess Piece Magician and I'm really looking forward to reading it!
/Carol

Douglas Bruton said...

Thank you Carol. I hope that you enjoy the book and that you enjoy it enough to spread the word.

All the best,

Douglas

Karen Jones Gowen said...

What a lovely compliment! Boys especially aren't usually that forthcoming in how they feel about books.

Douglas Bruton said...

Thanks for dropping by, Karen. Nice to see a friendly face.

Yes, getting a comment about books from a boy usually involves a curled lip and a snarl. Getting this was so neat.

D