Tuesday 9 February 2010

How Persecution Really Works

I have been doing some reading on copyright and intellectual property law. I have been called on to define what I think plagiarism is. Lawyers use up lots of court time and lots of public and private money debating this issue in individual cases, so to expect me to offer a hard and fast definition for us all to agree on seems to me to be unrealistic. However, I have been on The Copyright Licensing Agency's web page and I found this in their definition of what is copyright:

"There is no need in the UK to register copyright. When an idea is committed to paper or another fixed form, it can be protected by copyright. It is the expression of the idea that is protected and not the idea itself. People cannot be stopped from borrowing an idea or producing something similar but can be stopped from copying."

This is precisely what I have been arguing throughout all this plagiarism nonsense. It is what Jane Smith said in an early post on her own blog 'How Publishing Really Works'. If we accept the truth of this, then everything Jane has said and done against me, and all her compadre Doug Cheadle has done, and Vanessa and all the others, is malicious and cruel. And an argument against trial by internet.

1 comment:

Karen Jones Gowen said...

That's a helpful quote to clear things up. I've always said, There are no new ideas. Only new ways of expression.