Thursday 19 April 2012

Day Nineteen

(For more information on my 'April Challenge' see HERE)



(96)AN OVERNIGHT STAY
That’s it? That’s what you brought? Just that? Just a tiny box wrapped in photocopy paper and tied with thin red ribbon? Like it is something special and all it really amounts to is a change of underwear and a foldable toothbrush. Don’t you have an overnight bag or something?

(97)NOT A PONY IN A BOX
‘The best things,’ Kelly said, ‘come in little parcels.’ I wanted a bike – that’d be the best present ever. Or a piano or a pony. I didn’t see how any of those’d fit into the small parcel he held out for me to take. ‘Is it money?’ I said hopefully.

(98)PEACE AND CUSTARD
Eloise held it in the upturned palms of her two hands, a peace offering. The way she smiled and said, ‘Here, take it,’ made me think it might be something special. When I unwrapped it I found a custard slice with my name written in pink icing on the top.

(99)A PRESENT FROM CHUCK
It was too small, too fiddly for Chuck’s thick fingers. Melanie did the wrapping and, ‘Put your finger here, on the knot,’ she said, and Chuck did and that was all he did. Even the present inside had been chosen by Melanie. ‘Is this for me?’ Melanie squealed, acting surprised.

(100)PRESENTS – LOVING THEM AND HATING THEM
Presents – Matthew hated them. Not the buying or the wrapping or the giving. Indeed, he loved to see Robyn’s face when he surprised her with something silly or sweet. But getting them, that’s what Matthew didn’t like: the having to be thrilled at the small and nothing Robyn bought him.

No comments: