Sunday 1 April 2012

Day One

(For more information on my 'April Challenge' see HERE)


(1)ALL YOU NEED IS LOVE
In the hard light of day he’s cold and distant. Looks at me as if he doesn’t know me. Cleans his glasses pretending there’s been some mistake. It was different once. I remember. He said he loved me and all we need is love. Then we fucked and he left.

(2)THE DAY THE MUSIC DIED
I didn’t know I was a fan. All that peace and the summer of love and John and Yoko in bed for the press to see – I wasn’t that interested. Then he died. It was on the radio. Five shots and four of them hits. Then there was a silence.

(3)USED

There are rules. Their rules. We’re not allowed to move. Not in the light of day. Not when we can be seen. So we suffer the indignity of being used. ‘I kissed John Lennon,’ she’ll say. And when she’s not looking I’ll wipe a hundred other kisses from my lips.

(4)HOLD MY HAND
Sometimes I play the fool. I said that. And now they play the fool with me. Posed, lips puckered and eyes closed. Makes a pretty picture. But there’s one that keeps coming back. Day after day. Alone. And she talks to me quietly, holds my hand, and listens for answers.


(5)KISSES

I kissed Lincoln once. And Lenin. And Oscar Wilde. There was a bust of Beethoven on our music teacher’s desk, and I kissed him, too. And Darwin with his stone beard. Cold kissers, all of them. But Lennon is different. When the sun is on him his lips are warm.

There, that's the first five of my challenge. You can play, too, if you like. Or you can just browse.

No comments: