Monday 23 April 2012

Day Twenty-three

(For more information on my 'April Challenge' see HERE)



(116)WHEN I AM HOME

I know what Dalton’s about. I know where he’s gone and for why. A kiss-brief welcome and then he’s no longer there. That’s the way of him. Not being rude in that. It’s just that Dalton has a job to do: the bees must be told that I am home.


(117)FIRST SPRING BEE
Annabelle catches the first spring bee, in a jam jar, and waits for sleep to come. Then, by moonlight and the cool of night, she takes the bee, as gentle as gentle can, between pinch of finger and thumb, slips it in her purse – a charm against spending till summer.


(118)WITHOUT BEES
Whole hives just empty and the homeless bees cast on the wind and not ever finding their dancing way back. Bee whispers. And wasn’t it Einstein who said, in an alternative existence perhaps, that if the blessed bees were all gone then mankind would surely not live past four years.


(119)NOT WASPS
They fascinate me. All that summer-day industry. And nectar gathered in the early morn, drip by drip, from the suck-kiss-lips of flowers. And for so long there was no sweeter thing for a man’s bread than honey, or for his tea. And bees have not the stinging resentment of wasps.


(120)IDEAS

Ideas in my head. Like the buzz-words of bees. All fizz and spark and wishing to be released. Busy they want to be. On the page. Not a bee-line they make, but a meandering scribble that will be a story or a poem or nothing – dead bees on my windowsill.


No comments: